Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

How Long We've Been Married

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, September 26, 2011

A Weighty Issue

I am trying with this blog to present life and all the things surrounding it in its true light. I need to be better about letting people see the real me, instead of the girl trying desperately to keep it all together. This post is a reflection of my true fallen and real self. Life has been a joy being a mom. I love being at home and I love my baby girl. One thing has been keeping me down....or up rather. My weight loss after having baby Penick has come to a screeching halt and will not budge. I realize this is normal to hold on to some extra weight while breastfeeding, but it is seriously depressing stepping on that bathroom scale and realizing no matter what I do, i will not be able to change this until next June when my baby turns 1(my plan is to try to nurse that long). I have tried running, eating less, eating more....and nothing works. This weight issue probaby wouldn't be half as depressing if I didn't know that my mom, who only gained 17 lbs. with me, immeadiately went down to her pre-pregnancy weight and fit right back into her clothes. Apparently, that skipped my DNA. I am not trying to use this to whine, so if it has come across that way, I apologize. I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue and what happened in your experience. I think I feel like people are snickering behind my back about how I look now. Is this normal? Has anyone else had these experiences? This is one post I would love lots of comments on....let me know what you think:)

6 comments:

Reba said...

I think you look great...seriously! I remember that frustration too (and for me, it was much worse after child 2). I also remember going to the doctor when my son was past 1 (which is how long I nursed) and complaining that I wasn't losing weight like I wanted. I remember how very gently he explained it was because I was eating like I was still nursing but I wasn't burning those calories anymore. After that, the weight did come off. Until the next kiddo anyway. Just think of it as a badge of motherhood. :)

Emily said...

I am sure no one is thinking anything negative about you - you are beautiful! My experience: Trey is 7 months now, and although I'm within 5 pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight (and that probably didn't happen until he was closer to 4 or 5 months), I feel like it's just because I have no muscle mass anymore! I'm still really smooshy and have more tummy than I am comfortable with/want. A lot of my regular shirts are more fitted and make me feel self-conscious, so I just wear t-shirts most of the time. Getting on the treadmill regularly this winter is my goal, so we'll see how it goes. I probably need some accountability with exercising! I totally understand where you're coming from though because you wouldn't trade that beautiful baby for the world, but pregnancy sure does change your body!

Here's a quote I found from a La Leche League article: Breastfeeding mothers tend to lose more weight when their babies are three to six months old than formula-feeding mothers who consume fewer calories. (http://www.llli.org/faq/diet.html)

So maybe these next few months (hmm...Thanksgiving/Christmas...greeeeeeeat!) will bring you (and me!) more encouragment. Either way though, you are still a gorgeous momma!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I agree with the other girls that you are looking so good! I honestly can't tell that your body is still hanging onto any pregnancy weight. I know that even if I lose my pregnancy weight quickly or slowly, I'll never be rid of my crazy amounts of stretch marks, but that's okay by me (and probably a good humbling-factor from the Lord for me). Anyway, hang in there and know that for as little as Charlotte is, you've done great losing so far! :)

Amber Gutshall said...

I don't think people generally critique a postpartum woman's body. At least that's what I like to believe! Haha.. I always assume once people see the baby in my arms they will completely understand. Plus, people are too busy looking at the baby to look at the mommy anyway! I think it's better to focus on getting the best nutrients for baby than to focus on getting fewer calories. Better to think about health in general than weight. Those are my thoughts. Hope they help! (a good play group mommy discussion, too).

Alisha said...

I just found your blog via the King's and have enjoyed reading it. I feel like we need to hang out now! ha! I LOVE homemade granola with yogurt - eat it every morning. I also feel like I'm still fighting to lose 5 pounds of post baby weight 3 years later. :) I'm sure that once you have kids, people are looking at your kiddos, not you. So even if we don't lose the extra weight, we're the only ones that notice. :) Oh... and I love fall soups too.

Michelle said...

So, since I saw you today I thought I would catch up on your blog. I was honestly surprised to read this because when I saw you today I immediately thought you looked thinner than I had ever seen you before. (Now, I haven't see you in a few years, but still...it was noticeable). So, maybe those few pounds came off by now, or maybe they are hiding in other places. :)